The West Virginia Division of Corrections is seeking volunteers in the Third Base Coaching Program. Specifically, the agency is looking for volunteers who possess the following attributes:
- Recognized by the leadership of his/her congregation/organization as being established in his/her specific faith, is spiritually mature and not a recent convert
- There should be a record of two years sobriety (in a non-correctional environment)
- Endorsed by his/her local congregation/organization
- It is highly recommended that the mentor – participant relationship be same gender
- At least 5 to 10 years older than offender participants for participants that are 30 years old or younger.
- An established member of the community willing to role model (be employed, have social ties, and be an active member of their organization).
- Committed to at least 10 hours per week (It should be noted that time will be required to prepare for a visit, travel to the site, and journal in addition to the time that is spent with the offender participant.)
- Committed to at least 12 months participation
- Able to clear a criminal background investigation (Special permission to participate as an ex-felon can be obtained through the Director of Security’s office. An ex-felon cannot be under court or WVDOC supervision.)
- Willing to foster independence in the participant.
- Willing to complete approved training offered through the WVDOC
- A Mentor may not act as a volunteer in any capacity at any WVDOC facility or be on any WVDOC inmate’s visitors list while he/she is actively mentoring a participant.
Interested persons should complete the VOLUNTEER APPLICATION and return to:
Religious Services Program Mentor
One Mountainside Way
Mt. Olive, WV 25801